Directors & Officers Litigation
Product Liability Defense
Professional Malpractice Defense
EDUCATIONThe University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
J.D. - 1984
Law Review: The Review of Litigation, Managing EditorUniversity of Denver
B.A. - 1981
- Texas, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
William D. Cobb, Jr.
Bill Cobb is known as a strong, authentic and personable courtroom advocate. A strategic thinker, he brings to each engagement an ability to persuasively simplify the complicated while relentlessly mastering the details.Bill is sought after for his defense of professionals, particularly in the fields of law, insurance, real estate and securities brokerage. He represents professionals in Texas state and federal courts, in arbitrations, as well as in administrative disciplinary proceedings. As a “lawyer’s lawyer,” Bill knows there is no higher honor (or greater challenge) than to have other lawyers trust him to protect their reputations and livelihood.
In addition to professional liability defense, Bill represents businesses, product manufacturers and distributors in commercial litigation, product liability and mass tort defense. Because he is regarded as a trustworthy guide to Texas judges and juries, he is often called on to work as Texas counsel with out-of-state law firms. A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Bill has been included among the “Texas Top 100” Super Lawyers in several years since 2005, as one of the “Top 100 Dallas/Fort Worth Region” Super Lawyers more than ten times, and among the “Texas Super Lawyers” every year since 2003. “Best Lawyers in America” has included Bill every year since 2007 and among its 2015 designees for Legal Malpractice Law, “Bet-The-Company” Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Products Liability Litigation. Texas Lawyer named him one of seven “Go-To” lawyers whom Texas attorneys would choose to defend them against legal malpractice claims.
EXPERIENCEBill has been involved in numerous cases that have helped to shape Texas law governing lawyers and the legal profession, including on issues of:
- Fracturing of a legal malpractice claim into multiple causes of action
- Attorney immunity
- Expert testimony requirements
- Formation, validity, enforcement and termination of contingency fee agreements
- Elements of recoverable damages
- Obtained a jury verdict awarding a law firm the reasonable value of its services on a quantum meruit theory, and defeating a counterclaim from the firm’s former client alleging breach of fiduciary duty. After the trial court disregarded some of the jury’s answers, it entered a judgment denying recovery to either party. The Dallas Court of Appeals reversed and rendered judgment for the law firm client, reinstating the jury’s award, and remanding to the trial court to determine an additional award of the client’s attorney fees. The case remains pending possible further appeal.
- Obtained defense verdict in a highly publicized jury trial of wrongful death/survival and negligence claims against a retailer that sold a semi-automatic handgun to a man who later used it in a shooting rampage at the Tarrant County courthouse. The plaintiff victims sought over $30 million in damages.
- Worked with Wisconsin and Illinois attorneys as Texas counsel representing an aircraft systems manufacturer and a component supplier in a Northern District of Texas patent infringement suit asserted by a British defense contractor.
- Obtained defense verdict in a nine-week jury trial of legal malpractice and fiduciary duty claims asserted by a surgeon against a law firm that had represented him in a medical malpractice case. The surgeon had claimed over $15 million in lost earnings and damage to business reputation as a result of a public admission of surgical negligence he made as a condition of his settlement agreement.
- Worked with Pennsylvania MDL attorneys as Texas counsel representing an international medical products manufacturer and distributor in a series of Texas cases involving plaintiffs asserting medical products liability claims related to latex allergy.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- "The Best Lawyers in America" by Woodward White, Inc. in Legal Malpractice Law, 2010-Present
- "The Best Lawyers in America" by Woodward White, Inc.in Bet-The-Company Litigation, 2010-Present
- "The Best Lawyers in America" by Woodward White, Inc. in Commercial Litigation, 2007-Present
- "The Best Lawyers in America" by Woodward White, Inc. in Products Liability Litigation, 2007-Present
- "Top 100 Super Lawyers" by Thomson Reuters 2005 and 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
- "Top 100 Dallas/ Fort Worth Region SuperLawyers" by Thomson Reuters, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
- “D” Magazine Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2012 to present
- Named a "Texas SuperLawyer" by Thomson Reuters, 2003-Present
- Named one of seven "Go-To Lawyers Texas Attorneys Would Choose to Defend them Against Legal Malpractice Claims” by the Texas Lawyer Newspaper, 2002
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Section
- American Bar Association, Professional Liability Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Member, Ethics Committee
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member