Labor & EmploymentEven among the best-managed companies, the employer-employee relationship has the potential for misunderstandings that can quickly unravel into costly and destructive litigation. Whether it’s a routine hire gone awry, a wage and hour dispute, a health care reform issue, or enforcement of a non-disclosure agreement, we have handled it informally or in courts and before commissions throughout the state of Texas.
With new and ever more complex employment laws and regulations going into effect all the time, we stay on top of the compliance challenges and litigation risks that accompany them. We also track evolving market trends and technological advances to spot what’s next. We work proactively with our clients to create a culture that reduces legal exposure, complies with the latest laws and regulations, and avoids specific situations that can give rise to claims. Our advice takes into consideration the specific demands of each client’s industry, as well as what constitutes a “successful outcome” for each of our clients. Our services include:
- Counselling employers on the legal implications of routine employment decisions involving hiring, disciplining, enforcing employment policies, reductions in force, and terminations
- Drafting customized employment policies and handbooks
- Investigating complaints of harassment or discrimination
- Training managers and employees on best workplace practices
Our clients prefer cost-effective solutions to disruptive and protracted litigation, so we first seek alternate resolution options, including arbitration, conciliation and mediation. If litigation is unavoidable, we work relentlessly on behalf of our employer clients. We are dedicated to providing our clients with skilled counsel and results-oriented defense against discrimination, harassment and other claims.
Our seasoned lawyers regularly handle cases in all major areas of federal and Texas employment litigation, including the following:
- Employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation: We defend employers against claims that their employees have been subjected to discrimination, harassment, hostile work environment, retaliation, wrongful termination, or other adverse employment actions on the basis of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status or pregnancy status in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, 42 USC 1981, The Age Discrimination In Employment Act (ADEA) The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), and other federal statutes or relevant provisions of Texas law.
- Family and medical leave: The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires certain employers to provide eligible employees with specific amounts of unpaid leave time. We defend employers that have been accused of violating this statute, with regards to entitlement to leave or retaliation.
- Wage and hour issues: Under federal and state law, employers must pay their employees minimum wages and additional compensation for overtime hours. We defend employers against allegations of wage and hour violations, including class and collective actions. Equally valuable to our clients is our risk management advice and preventative measures, which are informed by our extensive litigation experience in this arena.
- Non-disclosure or non-compete: We assist in drafting non-compete agreements and protection of trade secrets and are prepared to litigate those issues if necessary. Our firm is increasingly called upon to consult with employers on these issues, bringing our considerable litigation experience to bear on the implementation of preventative measures, such as injunctive relief, which we have obtained successfully on numerous occasions.