EDUCATIONSouthern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D. 1986
- Hatton W. Sumners Scholar
- Assistant Managing Editor, Journal of Air Law & Commerce
Texas Christian University, BA in Political Science and English, 1983
- summa cum laude
- Chancellor’s Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Beta Kappa Award for Outstanding Senior in the Liberal Arts
- State Bar of Texas, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Northern District of Texas
Michelle Daniel is known for her outstanding research, writing and advocacy skills. Her practice is primarily devoted to appellate law and trial support, specializing in complex motions and briefing. Her varied background as an appellate lawyer, in-house counsel, and litigator provides a wealth of experience with which to support her clients.Michelle’s ability to analyze complex legal issues and present them in a cogent and persuasive fashion have enabled her to win appeals and dispositive motions on some of the most difficult legal issues. Judges have complimented her on her “excellent briefing,” and her oral argument skills allow her to present logical and compelling cases on behalf of her clients. Michelle’s training in mediation and collaborative law also allow her to assist clients in obtaining settlements where appropriate.
Representative EngagementsBusiness & Commercial
- Successfully defended on appeal a $5.5M judgment on behalf of an investment banking firm in Commerce Street Capital, LLC v. Durant Bancorp, No. 05-19-00343-CV, 2020 WL 7585837 (Tex. App.—Dallas, Dec. 22, 2020, pet. filed).
- Successfully briefed and argued a motion to dismiss a $12M indemnification claim on behalf of third-party defendant Alliance Family of Companies, LLC in Magnuson v. Armanino, LLP before Judge Maricela Moore in the 162nd Civil District Court in Dallas, Texas.
- Successfully defended on appeal the trial court’s denial of the City of Fort Worth’s plea to the jurisdiction in a whistleblower case brought by former Fort Worth Chief of Police Joel F. Fitzgerald in City of Fort Worth v. Fitzgerald, No. 05-20-00112-CV, 2021 WL 486396 (Tex. App. –Dallas Feb. 10, 2021, pet.filed.)
- Successfully defeated a plea to the jurisdiction by the City of Fort Worth in a companion whistleblower case, William Birchett v. City of Fort Worth, and drafted brief defending denial of the City’s plea in City of Fort Worth v. Birchett, No. 05-20-00265-CV (currently on appeal from the 162nd Judicial District Court, Dallas County, Texas, Cause No. DC-19-06941).
- Successfully defeated a motion for summary judgment by the City of Fort Worth before federal Judge Mark Pittman in the Northern District of Texas, Fort Worth, in another companion whistleblower case, Ronald Burke v. City of Fort Worth, No. 4:19-cv-00744-P, 2021 WL 347473 (N.D. Tex. Feb. 2, 2021)(slip. op.)
- Successfully defeated a TCPA Motion to Dismiss brought by Winstead, P.C. in Dewey M. Moore, Jr. v. Winstead, P.C. before Judge Bonnie Goldstein in the 44th Civil District Court in Dallas. Drafted appellate brief in response to Winstead’s appeal in Winstead, P.C. v. Moore, No. 05-20-00050-CV, currently pending before the Dallas Court of Appeals.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Dallas Bar Association, Appellate and Collaborative Law Sections
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit