Architect & Engineer Defense
Directors & Officers Litigation
Financial Advisor/Investment Advisor Defense
Insurance Agent & Broker/Independent Adjuster Defense
Labor & Employment
Legal Malpractice Defense
Real Estate Professionals Defense (Agents, Home Inspectors, Surveyors)
EDUCATIONSouthern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
J.D., 1986, Honors: Journal of Air Law & Commerce, Instructor of Legal Writing, 1987 - 1989
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
B.S., 1981, Double Degree, Major: Computer Science, Major: Mathematics, Honors: Member, Kappa Mu Epsilon
- Texas, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
David R. Woodward
David Woodward was one of the original founders of Cobb Martinez Woodward PLLC. David practiced law with integrity and zeal, representing his clients with creativity as well as with an eye for detail. Now “Of Counsel” to the firm, David has stepped away from the regular practice of law, and works on a limited basis with other members of the firm on select engagements.David’s practice focused primarily on commercial and professional liability litigation, with many years of experience representing:
- Commercial entities
- Attorneys and accountants
- Architects, engineers, and construction companies
- Financial advisors and investment professionals
- Insurance and real estate professionals
David left his law practice in good hands. CMW members Jeffrey Nicodemus and Stacy Bruce carry on David's work with several carriers and clients.
EXPERIENCEHighlights from David's career include:
- Successfully obtained a no liability finding against allegations of violations of state and federal securities laws in the defense of an Oklahoma securities broker and financial planner in a five-day FINRA (Financial Industry Regulation Authority) arbitration. The defense showed that the investments chosen met the agreed-upon investment plan, that the claimant was fully informed and that any decrease in the portfolio was due to market factors beyond anyone’s control.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an intellectual property attorney alleged to have failed to secure a trademark. The company had claimed over $10 million in lost profits and damages to its business.
- Obtained defense verdict in a trial involving issues of insurance agent malpractice, deceptive trade practices and fraud in which the plaintiffs sought over $100,000 in damages, claiming the insurance agent had misrepresented the commencement of coverage date and the terms and conditions of the policy.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Named a "Texas Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters, 2009 - 2019
- Selected as a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation – 2010
- Named to "2010 Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition" by Thomson Reuters, Business Litigation
- Named to "Super Lawyers Business Edition", 2011-2015 by Thomson Reuters, Business Litigation
- Selected as a "2012-2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation" by American Lawyer Media.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- State Bar of Texas
- Professional Liability Defense Federation, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics