Architect & Engineer Defense
Directors & Officers Litigation
Financial Advisor/Investment Advisor Defense
Insurance Agent & Broker/Independent Adjuster Defense
Labor & Employment
Legal Malpractice Defense
Real Estate Professionals Defense (Agents, Home Inspectors, Surveyors)
EDUCATIONSouthern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
J.D., 1986, Honors: Journal of Air Law & Commerce, Instructor of Legal Writing, 1987 - 1989
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
B.S., 1981, Double Degree, Major: Computer Science, Major: Mathematics, Honors: Member, Kappa Mu Epsilon
- Texas, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
David R. Woodward
When clients turn to David Woodward to represent them in commercial or professional liability disputes, they can count on an approach that is detail-oriented and thorough, as well as creative in finding alternative strategies to address the client's goals. David places an emphasis on communication, beginning first with an honest assessment of the potential risks of various strategies, while always keeping his client's business objectives in mind. David focuses his practice on commercial and professional liability litigation, with years of experience representing:
- Commercial entities
- Attorneys and accountants
- Architects, engineers, and construction companies
- Financial advisors and investment professionals
- Insurance and real estate professionals
David knows what it means to run a business and to keep an eye on the bottom line, having managed law firms for 18 years. So he is often called on to counsel his clients on business planning, including in-house guidance on risk avoidance and other issues.
EXPERIENCEDavid commences each engagement by carefully listening to his client and gaining a thorough understanding of the issues, in order to facilitate informed decisions. This approach has resulted in wins with the following representative engagements:
- Successfully obtained a no liability finding against allegations of violations of state and federal securities laws in the defense of an Oklahoma securities broker and financial planner in a five-day FINRA (Financial Industry Regulation Authority) arbitration. The defense showed that the investments chosen met the agreed-upon investment plan, that the claimant was fully informed and that any decrease in the portfolio was due to market factors beyond anyone’s control.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an intellectual property attorney alleged to have failed to secure a trademark. The company had claimed over $10 million in lost profits and damages to its business.
- Obtained defense verdict in a trial involving issues of insurance agent malpractice, deceptive trade practices and fraud in which the plaintiffs sought over $100,000 in damages, claiming the insurance agent had misrepresented the commencement of coverage date and the terms and conditions of the policy.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a real estate appraiser against claims by an apartment building purchaser alleging breach of contract, negligence, Deceptive Trade Practices Act, negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, constructive fraud, and fraud in a real estate transaction concerning an alleged defective appraisal.
- Successfully prosecuted claim against the member manager and purported majority owner of a limited liability company restoring client to majority ownership status. Member had claimed increase in ownership percentage of company through financial contributions made in unrelated real estate transactions.
- Obtained release/dismissal of claim against immigration attorney asserting legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty involving H-1B Visas and the recruitment of foreign teachers.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Named a "Texas Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters, 2009 - 2018
- Selected as a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation – 2010
- Named to "2010 Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition" by Thomson Reuters, Business Litigation
- Named to "Super Lawyers Business Edition", 2011-2015 by Thomson Reuters, Business Litigation
- Selected as a "2012-2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation" by American Lawyer Media.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section, Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Member
- Professional Liability Defense Federation, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics