E-mail MeMichael C. Smith
Michael is a member in Cobb Martinez Woodward PLLC. Michael represents clients in matters concerning professional liability, commercial litigation, premises liability, products liability and general tort litigation. He has substantial experience in insurance coverage litigation and advises businesses and individuals on a variety of insurance-related matters. Texas Monthly and Law & Politics Magazine his recognized Michael as a "Rising Star" every year from 2007 to 2012.
Successfully represented insurance agent and agency in response to Texas Department of Insurance investigation concerning allegations of agency exceeding binding authority related to certificates of insurance for homeowner policies.
Represented insurance agency against claims of negligent misrepresentation and conspiracy regarding an alleged mortgage fraud scheme where lender sought to recover millions in damages on sub-primeloans Obtained partial summary judgment for client, defeating negligent hiring, training and supervision claims.
Member of defense team in a products liability case in which former workers at a government weapons facility alleged beryllium exposure. The National Law Journal recognized verdict as one of the top defense verdicts of 2001.
Represents commercial property owners and property management companies in a variety of negligence and premises liability claims.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Premises Liability
- Negligence and Torts
- Products Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D. - 1999
- Honors: Member, Phi Delta Phi
- Trinity University
- B.A. - 1996
- "Texas Legislature Codifies the Attractive Nuisance Doctrine" , Dallas Bar Association, October, 2011
Honors and Awards
- Named Texas "Rising Star" by Texas Monthly and Law & Politics Magazine, 2007 - 2012
- Super Lawyers Texas Rising Stars, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Insurance Law Section, Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Tort & Insurance Practice Section, Member
- 4A Economic Development Corporation for the City of Murphy, Texas, Past President, Vice President and Director, 2006 - 2011